I'm Libby, an active mother of two and a devoted wife of 15 years. I created this site to help busy parents find the balance between dinner and family time. The recipes and tips I share are simple. They feature everyday ingredients that produce wonderful meals that your whole family will enjoy! (Read More)....
I’m very excited to share this recipe with ya today.
I discovered these on Pinterest years ago, and like most everything else on my account, it’s taken me a few years to make em. These were very popular back then. I remember plenty of food bloggers posting about how easy this recipe was.
A search for kid friendly lunch ideas led me straight back to them.
It seemed like these were all my kids lived on this summer. In fact, I made them so much, that I started deviating from the original recipe to personalize them.
These would be great to make as appetizers for parties or get togethers, because as my Ava described, “these are like pizza slices rolled up inside a tiny yeast roll”—which, they basically are.
The original recipe called for crescent rolls and mozzarella string cheese, however, I tend to purchase frozen yeast rolls when the commissary has them in stock (they sell out pretty quick) which means I had tons to use up this summer!
I’ve made them with string cheese, blocked cheese (chopped, of course), pre-shredded cheese, and deli sliced cheese. We’ve made them with mozzarella, monterey jack, muenster, and pepper jack. My conclusion, you can use any form of cheese you want, in any flavor, and they will come out perfect everytime.
Your friends and family will be begging for this recipe! Promise 😉
Pepperoni Pizza Pull Aparts
(makes 12 pizza balls)
12 frozen yeast rolls, thawed (I just put them in a glass bowl, cover them with aluminum foil, and place on the counter for 2-3 hours)
60 slices of pepperoni
1 block of mozzarella cheese (or any flavor you choose…cut into 2 inch sticks) OR 2 cups pre-shredded cheese OR 6 string cheese sticks, cut in half OR 12 slices of deli cheese
2 tbsp. of unsalted butter, melted
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
Italian Seasoning (optional)
Pizza Sauce for dipping
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and brush a 9×13 inch baking dish with olive oil.
2. Take one of the rolls and flatten them out on a plate.
3. Place 5 pieces of pepperoni onto the flattened roll.
4. Place the cheese of your choice on top of the pepperoni (1 to 2 spoonfuls for pre-shredded, 1 slice for deli cheese, or 1 stick for the block or string cheese).
5. Roll the roll down the middle as if you were rolling a burrito.
6. Fold the right and left and sides of the roll over to form a ball, making sure to pinch the edges together so they will seal.
7. Place the ball onto the baking dish. Repeat steps 2 through 6 for the rest.
8. Combine the unsalted butter with the garlic powder and brush mixture onto the top of each roll.
9. Sprinkle each roll with a dash of Italian Seasoning if desired.
10. Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes or until rolls look light brown in color.
11. Serve with pizza sauce.
**Libby’s Notes: If using pre-made crescent rolls, omit the butter and garlic powder and bake as directed on the package.
Recipe Source: Tweaked from the blog, Plain Chicken. Original recipe found HERE.