This recipe for Creamy Cinna-apple French Toast Casserole is similar to your basic bread pudding recipe. The extra cream cheese filling gives it a creamy texture that it can be eaten for both breakfast or dessert.
The one thing that I am absolutely loving about Albuquerque is the abundance of mom and pop establishments. Just like any other city, it has it’s chain restaurants, however, the local stores are really where it’s at.
We love their 9 grain bread, lemon bread, strawberry/cream cheese bread, jalapeno jack bread, and their apple cinnamon swirl bread.
Don’t get me wrong, I love to make homemade quick breads just like any other person, however, there is something very special about purchasing that one single treat from that favorite bakery from time to time. This french toast casserole actually was made from their apple cinnamon swirl bread.
A friend and I went to the bakery last Friday to purchase a few loaves for our families (she LOVES that place also) and we each ended up with a loaf of apple cinnamon. Don’t ask me how it happened. It was like we blinked and all of a sudden the bread fairy placed those loaves in our bags.
I can’t speak for her family, but by Sunday, there was only maybe little less then half left in our house. So I put my thinking cap on and went to town on baking up this casserole for breakfast.
At first glance, this dish can literally pass for bread pudding. However, once you cut into it, you will see that it’s actually a dreamy french toast casserole. There is a cream cheese filling in the center that is mixed with syrup and cinnamon. It was so amazingly good that I may just go back and purchase another loaf to make this again! Bake this for your family this week!
- Half a loaf of apple cinnamon bread (or any other kind of flavored dessert bread) cut into cubes, store bought or homemade
- 4 oz. of full fat cream cheese, softened
- 5 tbsp. 1 tsp. of granulated sugar
- Ground cinnamon to taste
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 6 tbsp. syrup and more for garnishing if desired
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat an 8×8 inch square baking dish with non stick cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, mix together the cream cheese and the sugar. Stir until very well combined.
- Layer one half of the cubes in the dish. Drop cream cheese mixture by spoonfuls over the cubes.
- Layer the rest of the cubes over the cream cheese.
- Sprinkle with ground cinnamon to taste.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the eggs, milk, 6 tbsp. of syrup, vanilla extract, and melted butter.
- Pour over bread. With a spatula, press bread into the egg mixture to help soak it up.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Garnish with more syrup if desired.
Enter Your Name and Email To Receive Your Free Planner!
Start following through with planning your meals! Download your copy today!