Pizza! I seriously cannot think of a simpler meal to make on a busy weeknight. What is even better is when the base is made of cream cheese. I know it’s not your typical way of making a pizza, however, using an herb-type of cream cheese or cooking creme as the base seriously gives a pizza so much zing! Can we say yumm-ooo?!!
Originally, I entered this recipe into the Real Women of Philadelphia Challenge last week. Only to find out a few days later that they disqualified it because it had more then 5 ingredients. I totally take the blame for that because I did not read the rules and regulations clearly. Of course, I also had a fussy 3 year old and an extremely talkative 5 year old in the room with me while I was entering this contest, so I was not in the right frame of mind….lol…so to speak. And I just know that I misread a few lines.
This is ok though because what RWoP lost, is this blog’s gain 😉 I could not just let this recipe fall by the wayside. It deserves some kind of credit, so here it is…..in all it’s glory. And if it’s one thing that I have learned from this experience (besides reading the directions more clearly), is that this is one kick-butt recipe!! It may have been disqualified, but dang it…..my family and I were able to eat a pretty darn good meal out of it! And that my friends….is really what it’s all about 🙂
P.S. We used Mommy’s Kitchen’s no-fail pizza crust recipe for the pizza. To follow the recipe, click here
Italian Cheese and Herb Pizza
(makes one 12 inch pizza)
1 pre-made 12 inch pizza crust OR homemade pizza crust
5 oz. of Philadelphia Italian Cheese and Herb Cooking Creme OR 5 oz. of Garlic and Herb Cream Cheese
1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup of sliced pepperoni
1 cup of pizza OR pasta sauce
1. Preheat oven according to the directions of the pizza crust. If needed, place pizza crust in oven for 10 minutes to pre-bake.
2. When crust is finished pre-baking, spread the Italian Cheese and Herb Cooking Creme on the top. Spread the pizza sauce (or pasta sauce) on top of the Cooking Creme.
3. Combine the cheddar cheese and mozzarella cheese in a small bowl.
4. Sprinkle the cheese on top of the pizza (or pasta) sauce.
5. Place the sliced pepperoni over the cheese.
6. Bake at the recommended temperature for the crust for 10-15 minutes, making sure not to burn.
**Libby’s Notes: The beauty of making your own pizza is that you can add whatever toppings you wish to it. Ingredients such as chunks of ham, shredded chicken, or even sliced peppers and mushrooms would taste great with this recipe! So go ahead, have some fun with it and let your imagination run wild!**