This recipe for Cinnamon Apple Crisp is like eating a homemade apple pie, minus the traditional crust. Top it with caramel syrup for a special treat!
This Cinnamon Apple Crisp is a dessert that absolutely cannot be kept a secret.
We make it at least once a year when October/November hits. There is no mistake once it starts baking in the oven that fall has made an appearance.
If I had to pick a favorite fall family dessert, this would be it. Don’t get me wrong, there are other dessert recipes on the site that I also adore, however, this one is a huge favorite among our house.
Brown sugar, regular sugar, butter, and flour help to form a crumb-like topping that encapsulates the apple filling.
It really does taste like you are eating apple pie and the crumbly topping makes you forget that this dessert is sans a pie crust.
A little tip to make your experience more enjoyable:
Before making this recipe, if you store your apples in the fridge, take them out and sit them at room temperature for a day or two. This will decrease the amount of excess liquid in the recipe upon baking, which will make the filling thick and not runny.
I’m not a big fan of oatmeal in desserts so the topping for this crisp is a bit different then a traditional one. We also like deviating from it by adding a little dash of nutmeg and a few sprinkles of Apple Pie Spice if we have it on hand.
This dessert is so versatile and forgiving in terms of ingredients that literally anything can be added to it.
We have eaten our servings with everything from vanilla ice cream to whipped cream. It’s also wonderful on it’s own. The caramel syrup is the finishing touch.
It’s a family favorite in this house and we hope it becomes one in yours as well 🙂
Looking for more fall recipes? Then check out the fall category on the site!
- 2 cups peeled and sliced Granny Smith apples
- 2 cups peeled and sliced sweet apples any type will do, just as long as they are sweet
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 cup water
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup caramel for drizzling optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease an 8x8 inch baking dish.
- Place sliced apples in a medium bowl and add the ground cinnamon, cornstarch, and lemon juice. Stir until well combined.
- Place the apples inside the baking dish. Pour the water over them.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the granulated sugar, brown sugar, unsalted butter, and flour.
- Sprinkle the sugar/butter mixture evenly over the apples.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until apples are tender and crust is golden.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream. Drizzle with caramel if desired.
Adapted from allrecipes.com