Made with sour cream, buttermilk, and almond extract, this Easy Homemade Banana Bread is definitely not your typical banana bread recipe.
I’m not sure how many of you enjoy cooking and baking with buttermilk but I’m a HUGE fan of it.
Down here in the south, it is common to hear about people drinking a glass of buttermilk, complete with ice cubes and all.
I could never stomach a glass of it myself, however, I LOVE using it in recipes. I have used it in soups, sauces, fruit salads, and baked goods. Baking with it gives your recipes that ‘down home’ southern feel.
It also gives the dish an added tangy, creamy, and moist component.
I was on the Internet searching for recipes that I can make with 3 over riped bananas. I have a few other banana recipes on the blog, but I wanted to try something different. The heavens opened when I found this recipe.
Secret Ingredients for making this Easy Homemade Banana Bread:
In order for this delicious bread to turn out correctly, you must use these three items while making it:
- Sour Cream
- Almond extract
Without any of the above, this recipe will not survive.
It never occurred to me to put buttermilk and bananas together…so when I came across this recipe for it, I was excited.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed bananas
- 2 tbsp. sour cream
- 4 tbsp. buttermilk
- 1/2 tsp. almond extract
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. baking soda
- Grease and flour 1 large loaf pan (9 1/4 X 5 1/4-inch).
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar together. Add eggs, bananas, buttermilk, sour cream and almond until the batter is well mixed.
- Add in the flour, baking powder, salt and soda. Mix until well combined.
- Divide batter into greased and floured bread pans and bake at 350 degrees for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean