If you are short on time and need a filling dish to make, these Easy Fontina Chicken and Tomato Basil Appetizers fit the bill! Made with fresh basil, chopped tomatoes, and shredded chicken, they are sure to please even the pickiest of eaters.
There’s something about combining different types of cheese with fresh ingredients. These lovely appetizers are made with Fontina cheese, fresh basil and tomatoes, and shredded chicken. This is a wonderful dish to make if you are looking to entertain a few guests and making an intricate meal will not suffice. To round things out, pair these with a nice glass of wine and a healthy salad. Drizzle with a flavored vinaigrette to add a little kick to them 🙂
- 14 ounces fresh Italian or French Bread
- 1 medium fresh tomato cubed
- 1/2 cup of chopped fresh basil leaves
- 7 slices thin of Fontina Cheese
- 1/2 cup of shredded, cooked chicken
- 1/4 cup of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut bread lengthwise into 14 slices.
- Brush the tops of the bread with olive oil.
- Top each piece with 1/2 a slice of Fontina Cheese.
- Place 1 tablespoon of shredded chicken onto each piece, followed by 2 tablespoons of cubed tomatoes.
- Sprinkle 1/2 of a tablespoon of basil leaves on top.
- Top each piece with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake for 13 to 15 minutes or until cheese is melted and the bread starts to brown.
To get ahead of the game, cube and chop your tomatoes the day before and store in a plastic container in the fridge. You can also slice the Fontina cheese, chop the basil, and shred the chicken the day before as well. Store all ingredients in the fridge until ready to assemble. Recipe Source:
Adapted and tweaked from the cookbook, Favorite Brand Name, 4 Ingredient Cookbook: Fast and Easy Recipes