If you are looking for a snack that is both sweet and salty, this Moose Munch Recipe is for you! It’s an easy treat to make when you need something in a pinch. As a matter of fact, making any of these Chex Mix Recipe Ideas will help in that department.
With only 4 ingredients, it’s an easy treat to whip up with not a lot of effort involved. It’s also a one bowl recipe so there’s less to clean up afterwards. It’s delicious and addictive.
Items needed to prepare this Chex Mix snack
These are affiliate links and will not change the sale price.
- King Arthur Baking - Heat Resistant Spoon
- Price: $19.95
- King Arthur Baking - Parchment Squares - 1000 Pieces
- Price: $29.95
This snack is a concoction of sweet flavors that meld together to form a wonderful serving of heaven. It resembles the recipe from the renowned gourmet popcorn company, Harry & David, and has become a beloved holiday snack.
Why You Need to Make This Moose Munch Recipe
Ingredients and Tips for Making Moose Munch
Wondering what you need to make this yummy snack? I got you covered below!
(Affiliate links are below and will not change the price of the item)
- Caramel or Toffee Popcorn: This is the key ingredient. Don't skip it. We like to use the Crunch and Munch brand, however, you can use another one if you prefer.
- Rice Chex Cereal: This brings a bit of the Chex Mix style to the recipe. It's a wonderful addition.
- Chocolate Chips: You definitely can't skip the chocolate. Our favorite brand is Ghirardelli. You can use semi-sweet or milk chocolate. Either one will work well.
- Vegetable Shortening: When combined with melted chocolate, shortening helps bind the dry ingredients together.
How Do You Store Moose Munch?
If you store the mix correctly, they should last about 4 to 6 weeks. We like to use these Pyrex glass storage containers to place them in. Make sure the lids are tightly secured as to not let any air circulate. This will result in a stale mix. You can also freeze them in gallon sized zip lock bags for up to 6 months.
What is in Harry and David's Moose Munch?
Harry and David's version resembles the one in this post. It consists of popcorn, nuts, caramel, and chocolate. The nuts in this recipe are attached to the caramel popcorn and are not added separately.
Why is it Called Moose Munch?
According to the blog, anaffairfromthehart.com, the name was inspired by Harry and David's Pacific Northwest home where they had the idea of creating a snack that was so yummy that "even the moose would want to munch on it."
More of Our Favorite Holiday Snack Recipes
If you are looking for more festive snack recipes, check out a few of our favorite ones on the site and from our friends:
- Chocolate and Peanut Butter Muddy Buddies
- Peanut Butter Chex Mix Recipe Roundup
- White Christmas Chex Mix
- Mason Jar Snack Gift Ideas
Helpful Kitchen Tools
- 12 ounce chocolate chips semi-sweet or milk
- 1 tsp. vegetable shortening
- 16 ounce caramel popcorn such as Crunch and Munch
- 1 cup rice Chex cereal
- Line a cookie/baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl, add chocolate chips and vegetable shortening. Microwave on high for 30 seconds.
- Remove the bowl and stir the contents. Place the bowl back into the microwave and heat for another 30 seconds. Repeat this process until both the chocolate chips and the shortening are melted and look shiny.
- Quickly stir in the popcorn and the rice Chex. Stir well until most of the chocolate is covering the popcorn.
- Spread onto the prepared cookie sheet and let it set out for about 2 hours. Once the mixture is at room temperature, transfer to a glass container and secure tightly with a lid.