The original recipe calls for two different kinds of meat (Italian Sausage and Hamburger), however, Husband Man is not a big fan of Italian Sausage so I tend to just make it with regular ole’ hamburger meat. The spices in the recipe also can be adjusted to your individual taste.
Serving Size: 1 cup
- 5 links of mild Italian Sausage (or 1 pound of ground beef or a combination of both)
- 1 medium onion, chopped chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or crushed
- 29 oz. canned crushed tomatoes
- 15 oz. canned tomato sauce
- 12 oz. can tomato paste
- 1/8 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp . Italian Seasoning
- Half of a 24 oz. jar of spaghetti or marinara sauce
- 1 pack of Vermicelli Noodles
Brown sausage links and/or ground beef in a frying pan over medium heat until brown and crumbly.
Using the same pan, add the onions, pepper (if you choose), and garlic. Cook until the onions are transparent and the peppers are soft.
Place the meat/onion mixture into the slow cooker. Combine the rest of the ingredients in the slow cooker until well mixed.
Cook on low, 8-10 hours or on high 4-6 hours.
Serve over vermicelli noodles and top with Parmesan Cheese.
This makes enough to fill a 4 quart slow cooker
To freeze: Place left over spaghetti sauce (without the noodles) in a Tupperware safe bowl or a freezer safe gallon bag. Label with the date and freeze. It should freeze for a good 2 months.
To Defrost: Place bag or bowl in the fridge overnight. Heat in microwave or on stove top before serving. Or you can place the bowl in the microwave on 'defrost' for a faster option.
Recipe Source: Compiled from various recipes off the internet
Meal Planning Has Never Been Easier!
Sign up to receive your FREE 7 Day Easy Meal Plan today!