This recipe for Sweet Potato-Yam Bread is the perfect way to use up any left overs you may have. Yams can be substituted for sweet potatoes and vice versa.
I know the Thanksgiving holiday is done and over, however, our family is still eating left overs…if you can believe that.
One of the dishes I made for Thanksgiving was our family’s recipe for Sweet Potato and Pecan Casserole.
After the first few days of eating left overs, only one cup of these lovely taters was left in the fridge. I felt so bad for it and knew there had to be a way save it from the garbage disposal.
After hours of research, I came up with this recipe.
Upon baking it, I did not know how well it was going to turn out. The batter was very, very, very thick and as I scooped it into the loaf pan, I thought to myself, “there is no possible way this recipe is going to be good.”
Ha! Boy was I ever wrong.
About 15 or 20 minutes into the baking time, the house started smelling like Thanksgiving all over again! The taste was as yummy as the smell.
What you need to Make this sweet Potato-Yam Bread:
You’ll need the following ingredients:
- 1 cup of leftover sweet potatoes or yams
- Unsalted butter
- Ground cinnamon
- All-purpose flour
- Baking soda
- Eggs and milk
- Chopped pecans
It looked like a rustic type of bread from the outside, but the inside was moist and soft. Who knew that one little cup of candied yams could produce a lovely dessert such as this??
I can just imagine making these in mini-loaf pans to hand out to our friends.
You can bet this recipe will be added to our list of dishes to make after the holidays! Add it to yours as well!
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened plus a little more for greasing the pan
- 5/8 cup granulated sugar, divided into 1/4 cup and 3/8 cup
- 1 tbsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup of Sweet Potato Pecan Casserole or Candied Sweet Potatoes/Yam
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 9x5 inch loaf pan. In a small bowl, combine 1/4 cup of sugar with 1 tbsp. of ground cinnamon. Stir until well combined.
- Sprinkle some of the Cinnamon/Sugar Mixture on top of the butter, reserve the rest for later.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda, salt, and 1 tsp. of ground cinnamon. Set aside.
- Cream together the cup of sweet potatoes/yams and sugar until smooth.
- Add the 1/2 cup of butter and mix.
- Add the 2 eggs and mix. Add the milk and mix.
- Fold the flour ingredients in with the sweet potato mixture.
- Fold in pecans if desired.
- Pour batter into the loaf pan.
- Sprinkle the top with the rest of the Cinnamon/Sugar mixture.
- Bake for 60 minutes. Let it cool for 10 minutes before serving.
*Make the Cinnamon/Sugar mixture a few days in advance. Store in an airtight container.
Recipe Source: Adapted from Food.com