I’m not sure if any of you have seen the movie, Julie and Julia….but there is one particular scene in there that had me wanting to try to make this yummy dish. One of the main character’s, Julia, cooks this recipe for dinner one night and her husband could not stop ‘oooing and awing’ over it. This scene is just one of the many food scenes in the movie that made me want to try every recipe on there.
Of course, the bruschetta I made looks nothing like the one in the movie, but that is ok 😉
For my first time making it, it received rave reviews from Husband Man. And like Julia’s husband did in the movie, my husband started ooing and awing as well!
With fresh basil, tomatoes, and fresh mozzarella, this appetizer sure did aim to please. We ended up eating the whole entire batch! Can we say yummmm? 🙂 This recipe is definitely filed under our favorites!
So make this tonight for your family and friends…or heck, just make it for yourself. You won’t regret it. Promise.
Tomato, Mozzarella, and Basil Bruschetta
(makes 6-8 mini baguettes)
1 to 2 bags of Sister Schubert’s Mini-Baguettes OR 1 or 2 loaves of French Bread…..sliced
1 cup fresh tomato, chopped
6-10 fresh basil leaves, stems cut off
1 package of fresh mozzarella
3 cloves of minced garlic
2 tbsp. of balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil, plus more to brush the bread with
1. Follow the directions on the back of the Sister Schubert bag to prepare the mini-baguettes.
2. After the baguettes are prepared, preheat oven to 400 degrees.
3. Cut each baguette in half and brush the insides with olive oil.
4. Place on baking sheet and toast in oven for a good 5-8 minutes.
5. While they are toasting, mix together the tomatoes, basil, rest of the olive oil, vinegar and garlic in a small bowl.
6. When baguettes are finished toasting, place a few pieces of mozzarella in each piece and top with a couple of spoonfuls of the tomato mixture.
7. Bake for another 10 to 15 minutes or until cheese starts to melt.
Recipe Source: Inspired by Allrecipes.com and a few others around the net