This blog is supported by our readers. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no cost to you. Read my full disclosure.
Made with brown sugar, black pepper, and a touch of cayenne, this recipe definitely takes bacon to a whole other level!
I’m going to let you in on a little secret (if you haven’t heard by now).
I’m a military spouse. I’ve been one for 13 years. I rarely write about it because I consider our lives pretty darn normal and as civilian as it can be (besides the fact that we live on an actual military base). I can’t speak for other military families so I’m just writing from our perspective in this house.
My children go to school just like everyone else’s kids. They are involved in after school activities just like everyone else’s kids, and we sit down to eat a normal meal as a family (when Husband Man is home) just like everyone else. It all just takes place on a military base versus off of one.
It has fascinated me over the years at how our civilian counterparts think it’s a different lifestyle. I mean…yes…the PX/BX and commissary is our Target/Wal-Mart, and we do hear Reveille and Retreat (songs that I love to hear when the kids aren’t going crazy and the dog isn’t barking up a storm) everyday at 7:00 am and 5:00 pm, however, other then that, my family lives a pretty regular life.
And do you know what’s part of this regular life? BACON!
We love our bacon in this house. I came across this recipe a few years back and seriously have not gone back to making ‘regular’ bacon since. I tried one time, however, it just was not the same. Some of you may know this recipe as candied bacon, but for the SEO on the site, we’ll just call it Brown Sugar and Peppered Bacon 😉
It’s pretty simple to make too! You have your brown sugar, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and then the bacon itself. Just combine everything in a plastic bag, give it a good shake, then bake.
Serves: 8 slices
Calories Per Serving: 156
- 8 slices of regular thick-cut bacon
- 1/2 cup of light brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp. of ground black pepper
- A pinch of cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Inside a gallon sized plastic bag, mix the bacon, brown sugar, black pepper, and cayenne pepper together.
- Massage the bag and mix the bacon around inside until most of the surface is coated.
- Place bacon on top of a baking sheet lined with tin foil (or on top of an oven-safe baking/cooling rack that is placed on top of a baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until bacon starts looking crisp.
- Place bacon on a plate lined with paper towels to absorb the grease.
Recipe Source: Adapted from my lovely blogging friend, Tina, over at Mommy's Kitchen