This Fall Harvest Chex Mix is a nice fall treat that has a bit of sweetness and a bit of spiciness to make your fall complete! It’s one of the many Chex Mix Recipe Ideas that our family loves.
The combination of seasoned salt, Worcestershire, hot pepper sauce, and a few other ingredients make this recipe delectable and on the smokey side! The M&M’s add a bit of delightedness. We enjoy the recipe when the weather turns cool and summer has disappeared.
This recipe was found while looking through my collection of culinary magazines. I’m not kidding when I say making this snack will make your home smell like fall. It makes quite a bit so it’s perfect to make for your next seasonal get together. It would even be great to make as a snack for your guests on Thanksgiving Day.
Items needed to prepare this Chex Mix snack
These are affiliate links and will not change the sale price.
Reasons to love this Fall Chex Mix
Ingredients and tips for this Chex Mix recipe
Below is a list of helpful ingredients and tips, along with links to purchase what you need. The links are affiliate links and will not change the price of the item.
- Chex Cereal: We use both wheat and rice. It’s the perfect mix of hearty and smooth.
- Mini Cheese Crackers: You can use Cheez-Its or Gold Fish for this ingredient. Either one will work well.
- Pumpkin Seeds: If you aren’t a fan, you can omit these.
- Butter: We use unsalted butter due to the salt content in the rest of the recipe.
- Garlic Powder and Seasoned Salt: Do not skip these ingredients. They are what gives the mix it’s flavor.
- Worcestershire Sauce: Just like the seasoned salt, you don’t want to skip this one. When it is combined with the salt, it takes the mix to whole other flavor level.
- Hot Pepper Sauce: To add a little zing, this is also a must. We like to use Louisiana hot sauce. However, if you aren’t a pepper fan, you can omit this step.
- M&M’s: You can either use milk chocolate or candy corn. These are also a must to include because of the sweetness it adds.
What are some substitutions for hot sauce?
Even though the hot sauce in this recipe gives it a zing, it is perfectly fine to omit it. You can also replace it with a bit of crushed red pepper if you want minimal spiciness.
Do you have to mix every 15 minutes in the oven?
Other recipes require you to mix every 15 minutes in the oven. I imagine the reason why they do this is to make sure the seasonings are thoroughly baked into the mixture. However, we have never done this and the recipe turned out great. Just make sure to mix thoroughly after baking is finished.
What items should I use to make this Fall Harvest Chex Mix?
We use this 3 Piece Baker’s Delight Set from Nordic Ware. It heats the mix evenly while cooking most of the ingredients. The natural nonstick feature is also wonderful as our baked items have never stuck to the bottom.
For tossing the mix after baking, I use these Silicone Tongs from Maywe. They are great to use in ovens up to 600 degrees. The silicone ends also do not scratch the coating of the baking pan.
Can I substitute M&M’s with another ingredient?
More of Our Favorite Fall Snack Ideas
Looking for more fall snack favorites? I’ve compiled a list from this site and from our friends!
- Peanut Butter and Chocolate Acorns
- Caramel Apple Mini-Pops
- Scarecrow Cheese Ball
- Candy Corn Snack Mix
Helpful Kitchen Tools
These are recommended affiliate links and will not change the sale price.
- 3 cups Wheat Chex
- 3 cups Rice Chex
- 3 cups miniature cheese crackers (we used Cheez-Its, goldfish can be used as well)
- 1 cup fresh pumpkin seeds (washed and dried)
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter (melted)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 2 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspon hot pepper sauce (we used Louisiana Hot Sauce)
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (we used Louisiana Hot Sauce)
- 2 cups milk chocolate M & M’s or candy corn M & M’s
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- Place the melted butter inside a small bowl stir in the seasoned salt, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, and 1/4 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce.
- Drizzle butter mixture over cereal mixture and toss to coat.
- Bake for 1 hour and transfer to a large bowl. Let the mixture cool for 15 minutes and then add in the M & M’s. Stir until well combined.
- Store in airtight containers or in a gallon sized ziplock bag.