Fall is all wrapped up in these Pumpkin Pecan Crunch Bars. Buttered cake mix is combined with pumpkin and autumn spices for a wonderful fall flavor!
With a combination of packed pumpkin, buttered cake mix, pecans, sugar, and cinnamon, these Pumpkin Pecan Crunch Bars will have you coming back for seconds…and maybe even thirds 🙂
How many times have the words, “There just aren’t enough hours in the day” entered your mind?
For me, it’s a weekly thing. Here are some of the things (in no particular order) that I would accomplish if the days were longer:
- Everything I cook would be homemade (from pasta noodles to sandwich bread to salsa).
- My house would be completely clean from top to bottom.
- Everyone’s laundry would be finished and put away every single day.
- I would have time to watch all 80 episodes of The Pioneer Woman and Trisha’s Southern Kitchen on my DVR.
- My family and I would have ample time to spend together after everyone’s homework and after school activities were done.
If only there were enough hours in the day…right? Truth of the matter is, I do have the time to implement some of these tasks, however the hours just aren’t long enough. What would you accomplish if there were more then 8 hours in a day?
Lucky for us, this dessert doesn’t take much time to make….and is so darn deliciously good.
There are three layers to it: the bottom layer resembles pumpkin pie filling, the middle layer is buttered cake, and a crunchy nutty layer finishes off the top.
It resembles a pumpkin pie, except in cake/bar form. Pair this with my homemade recipe for whipped cream and you will have one awesome dessert for the holidays (or for any occasion).
My seven year old son LOVES this recipe, as do Husband Man and I. My nine year old daughter on the other hand, does not like it. Mainly because it has pecans in it.
You can eat this dessert warm (the way I prefer it) or place it in the fridge to chill overnight and eat it cold the next day (the way hubby likes to eat it). It tastes wonderful either way you choose 🙂
For the Filling:
- 15 ounce can of packed pumpkin puree' (not to be confused with pumpkin pie filling)
- 12 ounce can of evaporated milk
- 3 large eggs (room temperature)
- 1 1/2 cups of granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the topping:
- 1 package of yellow butter cake mix
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup melted unsalted butter (2 sticks)
- Whipped cream for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray nonstick spray into a 13x9 inch baking dish.
- Using an electronic mixer, mix the pumpkin puree', evaporated milk, eggs, granulated sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a medium bowl until well blended.
- Pour into greased baking dish.
- Sprinkle evenly with dry cake mix.
- Add the pecans. Drizzle the melted butter on top of the pecans.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into the dessert comes out clean.
- Cool for 15 minutes or place in the refrigerator to chill.
- Serve with whipped cream to garnish.