This Creamy Three Cheese Skillet Lasagna is a dish that was discovered unexpectedly in a stressful situation. It contains three types of cheese (including cream cheese) and has chopped green onions to give it a little sparkle.
We came across this recipe before our PCS move from Louisiana to New Mexico. Around two weeks before our big move, we found ourselves desperate for ways to use up most of our food items. I found this recipe on the internet and it has been in our family since.
Creamy Three Cheese Skillet Lasagna
When I made this the first time, the entire family LOVED it (to include our picky eater). Husband Man suggested that it needed to be our go-to recipe for lasagna.
The traditional way of making lasagna is with a casserole dish and a certain number of pots and pans. This new way of making it replaces the casserole dish with a skillet. You also only need one bowl to mix most of the ingredients. The noodles also cook along with the rest of the recipe, eliminating boiling them beforehand. It literally is a one skillet meal AND one bowl meal!
Did you know lasagna would be THAT easy to make?
I certainly didn’t! Up until now, I used to make ours the traditional way. This recipe definitely cured that! We have made this for family and friends when they come to visit and all of them end up requesting the recipe. It has remained in our family’s treasured volt of recipes and we hope it ends up in yours as well!
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 4-8 regular lasagna noodles
- 24 oz. jar of tomato and basil pasta sauce
- 1 and 1/2 cups of water
- 16 oz. container low-fat cottage cheese
- 8 oz. package of full fat cream cheese
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 1 tbsp. dried parsley flakes
- 2 cups shredded Italian cheese blend or mozzarella
- In a 12 inch skillet, cook ground beef, onion, and garlic over medium heat until beef is thoroughly cooked and the onions are translucent, stirring frequently. Drain and put back in skillet.
- Add uncooked noodles, breaking them into 2 inch squares. Add pasta sauce and water. Mix well. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat medium-low. Cover and cook for 15 to 17 minutes or until noodles are tender and the liquid is mostly absorbed.
- In a large bowl, combine cottage cheese, cream cheese, Parmesan cheese, green onions, and parsley flakes. Mix well.
- Spoon cottage cheese mixture evenly over cooked beef and noodles. Sprinkle with Italian cheese blend. Cover and cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.