This Easy Holiday Ham and Cheese Soup can be made with left over ham from the holidays. Potatoes, carrots, celery, and green beans are added to the ham, along with a homemade soup base. It’s the perfect soup to make while you recover from the craziness of this time of year!
Thanksgiving is over and we are now getting ready for Christmas! I, for one, cannot believe it’s already that time of the year! We had a few left overs from Thanksgiving so I decided to make this soup to bless the beginning of our Christmas planning journey. Everyone in our family LOVED this soup except for our picky 8 year old (he’s not a fan of ham). It’s so creamy and cheesy that you literally forget that vegetables are in it, which is why I think my 10 year old loved it (and she’s not a carrot fan). You can make this soup anytime you have a left over ham that you don’t want to toss (Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas…I’m sensing a theme…). It works well as a no-fuss dish, which is exactly what is needed if you’ve had a crazy holiday! We hope this soup will be added to your favorite collection soon 🙂
- 2 cups russet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup carrot, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped optional
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup fresh and cooked green beans optional
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup cooked ham, cubed
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups milk any kind
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Combine potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, green beans, water, and pepper in a large soup pot. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Simmer until vegetables are tender, around 5 to 10 minutes.Stir in the ham. Set aside.In a skillet, melt the butter over low heat. Slowly whisk in the flour.Once the flour is combined, slowly stir in the milk. Keep stirring until mixture starts to thicken.Stir in the cheese and mix until melted.Pour the cheese mixture into the vegetable mixture and stir until combined.
Enter Your Name and Email To Receive Your Free Planner!
Start following through with planning your meals! Download your copy today!