These Chicken Enchiladas are made with only 5 ingredients and will take the guess work out of Mexican night at your house!
As I sat at my desk and stared at the computer, my hope started to quickly fade.
It had been two years since we moved to New Mexico and my patience was starting to wear thin.
My fingers were steadily typing word for word into the Google search box…”How to Make Enchiladas“…”Easy Ways to Make New Mexican Enchiladas“…”New Mexico and Enchiladas.”
Surely it couldn’t be that hard to find a simple recipe for this popular Mexican dish!
If anyone has ever set foot in this state, then you will know that it is covered with morsels of New Mexican restaurants, both chains and small businesses.
Once you step inside these restaurants and taste their food, you begin to wonder, “how would I make this at home?” At least this is what I’m always thinking.
My quest into how to make the perfect enchilada has resulted in a headache full of fifteen ingredient recipes with ten thousand steps for directions. At the end of the day, who really wants to make this intricate of a dish?
Maybe if we were expecting Julia Child for dinner, however, normal evenings in this house usually equal simple. Like, 5 or 6 ingredient simple.
This recipe is hands down, the easiest recipe we have tried when it comes to making Chicken Enchiladas. Truth be known, it’s been in our family for years. However, it seems to be the only enchilada recipe that has had staying power.
what ingredients are needed to make these chicken enchiladas?
You only need 5 ingredients to make these enchiladas!
- Shredded chicken
- Already-made red enchilada sauce
- Flour tortillas
- Shredded Colby and Monterey Jack Cheese
- Chopped green chilies (optional)
My cousin is responsible for gifting it to us many moons ago. I can finally stop my Google search for the perfect enchilada recipe! I wonder if she has a recipe for Chile Rellenos?
P.S. Need a side for these enchiladas? Check out the Mexican food section on the site!
- 2 cups shredded and cooked chicken
- 38 ounce can of already made enchilada sauce (equivalent to two 19 oz. cans)
- 6 flour tortillas (8 to 10 inches in diameter)
- 2 cups shredded Colby and Monterey Jack cheese
- 4.5 ounce can chopped green chilies (optional)
Cookware Recommended For These Enchiladas:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a skillet heated over medium heat, combine chicken, one can of enchilada sauce, 1 cup of the shredded cheese, and can of chilies. Stir together until the cheese is completed melted, around 10 minutes.
- Lightly spray a 9x13 inch casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray. Place 1 cup of the second can of enchilada sauce onto the bottom of the dish.
- Fill each flour tortilla with 1/2 cup of the chicken filling. Roll each one up and place them in the casserole dish, open side down.
- Pour the rest of the enchilada sauce over all of the tortillas. Top the sauce with the rest of the shredded cheese.
- Cover the casserole dish with aluminum foil and bake for 20 to 30 minutes. Serve immediately.