Made with two types of beans, corn, green chili peppers, and a few other south western staples, this Slow Cooker Taco Soup needs to be on your weekly menu!
Cinco de Mayo is today!
Normally I would do a round up of recipes on the blog for this, however, we are still building up our Mexican recipes here at the house.
It’s been a very long time since I have shared a slow cooker recipe with all of you hasn’t it? Well…that’s about to change.
On a side note, how awesome are slow cookers? They have quickly become my preferred appliance in the kitchen (besides our oven/stove). I seriously cannot think of an easier way to make our weeknight dinners.
The first time I made this Slow Cooker Taco Soup we all went back for seconds! When our family does this, I know the recipe is a winner.
Our daughter described it as a burrito-like meal, except in soup form. With two types of beans, taco seasoning, ground beef, and diced green chile peppers…I can see where she came up with that thought.
One tip: You don’t have to use ground beef. I have heard this recipe is just as good with shredded, cooked chicken.
Top each bowl of soup with a dollop of sour cream and garnish with shredded cheddar cheese. Or, you can eat it plain. As a side, try eating this soup with tortilla chips or flour tortillas.
This is also a wonderful dish to make if you are pressed for time and have a busy week ahead. Just place all of the ingredients in the slow cooker insert and let it cook all day. It also freezes well so you can freeze any left overs and save them for a rainy day!
This recipe is one of our favorites and we hope it can become one in your family’s as well 🙂
- 1 pound ground beef (cooked and drained)
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 16 ounce can of chili beans (with liquid)
- 15 ounce can of kidney beans (with liquid)
- 15 ounce can of whole kernel corn (with liquid)
- 8 ounce can of tomato sauce
- 2 cups water
- 29 ounce can of diced tomatoes (equivalent to two 14.5 ounce cans, partially drained)
- 4 ounce can of diced green chile peppers (optional)
- 1.25 ounce package of taco seasoning mix
- Sour cream and shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- Place ground beef, onion, chili beans, kidney beans, whole kernel corn, tomato sauce, water, diced tomatoes, green chile peppers, and taco seasoning in a slow cooker. Stir and mix until very well blended.
- Cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours.
- Garnish with sour cream, shredded cheese if desired.