I just stared at that mess of a recipe and asked myself: How come they never looked like that when mom would make them? I was determined to remake them so I sent Husband Man out to the store to purchase more ingredients….bless his southern heart. Hers called for placing a whole wafer at the bottom of the cupcake liner, which normally would be an easy thing to do but I couldn’t help but kick it up a notch.
Instead, I placed the wafers through the food processor and mixed them with some butter, cinnamon, and a little sugar.
(Gasp! She did what?!)
I also used two boxes of cream cheese instead of one like her recipe suggested and added 1/4 tsp. of lemon extract.
- Half a box of vanilla wafers
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 8 oz. packages of full fat cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. lemon extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 can of cherry pie filling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners and set aside.
- Process the vanilla wafers in a food processor until crumb-like.
- In a medium bowl, mix the crumbs with the pinches of cinnamon and sugar. Cut in the 1/4 cup of butter until it forms small crumbs again.
- Place 1 and 1/2 tablespoons of the wafer mix into the bottom of each cupcake liner.
- With an electric mixer, mix the cream cheese and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Mix in the vanilla extract, lemon extract, and eggs. Continue mixing until well blended.
- Pour 1/4 cup of the cream cheese mixture over the wafer crumbs in each liner.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into each treat comes out clean. Store in refrigerator until ready to serve. Top each treat with the pie filling.