If you are looking for a delicious side dish to make for your holiday dinner, try this Cracker Barrel Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe. We enjoyed this recipe so much that it has been added to our collection of Cracker Barrel Recipes on the site!
This dish from Cracker Barrel is the one that steals the show. It’s the perfect classic blend of sweetness, warmth, and comfort, with a citrus twist. Your taste buds will rejoice as they dance with joy at every bite.
Products Used to Make This Cracker Barrel Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase after clicking a link, I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you.
This Cracker Barrel recipe is more than just a holiday recipe. It’s a time honored tradition of Southern hospitality and comfort. The added citrus flavor makes it a novelty in it’s own time. When you recreate this dish in your own kitchen, you are creating a life time experience.
Why You Should Make This Sweet Potato Casserole from Cracker Barrel
Tips For Making this Cracker Barrel Sweet Potato Casserole
The following are affiliate links and will not effect the item price.
- Fresh Sweet Potatoes: This is the main ingredient. Make sure to scrub and wash them before cooking.
- Orange Juice Concentrate and Fresh Orange Zest: The citrus flavor comes through with this ingredient. Don’t skip it! We use the frozen orange juice concentrate.
- Brown Sugar: Even though sweet potatoes are naturally sweet, these two ingredients add an autumn-like sweetness to the pie.
- Pecan Pieces: Pecans give the casserole a sweet and nutty flavor. If you aren’t a fan of pecans, you can skip them.
Does Cracker Barrel Serve Sweet Potatoes?
Besides their casserole, Cracker Barrel does in fact serve sweet potato recipes. According to their website, they have a loaded baked sweet potato on their menu which consists of brown sugar cinnamon butter, a toasted marshmallow, butter pecan syrup, and candied pecans.
Is it Better to Bake or Boil Sweet Potatoes for a Casserole?
Either method will suffice. However, baking your sweet potatoes will not only result in a less watery pie, but also will add a bit of savoriness to it due to the potato retaining more of it’s nutrients. If you want to boil them, make sure the potatoes are not water logged before baking.
Which Pie Plate Do You Recommend for this Casserole?
Even though this recipe is a casserole, I like to take the non-traditional route and make it in a pie plate. We like to use these 9-inch Pie Plates from Emile Henry. They are made with Burgundy Clay to ensure your crust and filling bake evenly.
More of Our Favorite Cracker Barrel Recipes
If you are looking for more Copycat Cracker Barrel Recipes, then check out a few more of our favorite ones on the site and from our friends. You can also check out our sweet potato recipe collection and our easy casserole recipes collection!
- Copycat Cracker Barrel Gravy
- Copycat Cracker Barrel Pancake Recipe
- Copycat Cracker Barrel Buttermilk Biscuits
- Cracker Barrel Mac and Cheese
- The Best Hash Brown Casserole (Cracker Barrel Copycat)
Helpful Kitchen Tools
- 5 sweet potatoes (washed and scrubbed)
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup orange juice concentrate
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. fresh orange zest
For The Topping
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup pecan pieces (chopped)
Equipment You’ll Need
- Fill a medium sized pot half way with water. Bring water to a boil on medium heat.
- Once boiling, place sweet potatoes inside pot and continue boiling until potatoes are soft, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and spray casserole dish with non-stick spray.
- Drain potatoes and set aside to come to room temperature. Once cooled, remove the skins and place the de-skinned potatoes inside a large mixing bowl. Mash the potatoes with an electric mixer.
- Add the 1 cup of unsalted butter, orange juice concentrate, brown sugar, and orange zest. Blend until well mixed.
- Place contents into casserole dish.
- Place the topping ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a boil under medium heat.
- Pour melted topping over the sweet potato casserole and bake for 30 minutes or until topping is firm.