This copycat recipe for Cracker Barrel Buttermilk Biscuits uses biscuit/pancake mix as a baking shortcut. It has earned a spot in our family’s recipe arsenal for copycat Cracker Barrel recipes!
Biscuits are such a wonderful treat! You can have them in the mornings for breakfast or serve them in the evenings as a side with soups and stews. They can be filled with different ingredients as well.
My husband’s grandmother made awesome biscuits, supposedly. She took her biscuit recipe with her when she passed away. Due to this, everyone had to guess what her secret was until this recipe came along.
Recommended Biscuit Making Tools
These are affiliate links and will not change the price of the items.
Why you should make these Cracker Barrel Buttermilk Biscuits
Ingredients and tips for baking these biscuits
Wondering about the items you’ll need to produce these biscuits? I’ll break them down for you, ingredient by ingredient with affiliate links included.
- Pre-made Biscuit/Pancake Mix: We love to use Bisquick baking mix for this. In any event, you can use another brand if you prefer.
- Buttermilk: Do not leave this ingredient out! This is what gives the biscuits a rich and full flavor.
- Sugar: This ingredient adds a bit of sweetness to the biscuits. Do not skip it!
- Butter: Due to baking purposes, we use unsalted butter. You will need this for the mixing process and to coat the biscuits after baking.
- Flour: We use all purpose. Always make sure you have a bit more on hand for dusting the surfaces and your hands. It helps make surfaces non-sticky.
Instead of Bisquick, what can I use for baking these Cracker Barrel Buttermilk Biscuits?
Can I substitute buttermilk with something else?
You can make your own buttermilk substitute by combining 1 cup of milk with 1 tablespoon of white distilled vinegar. Before adding to the recipe, let it sit for 10 minutes. It should have a clumping consistency the more it sits.
The dough came out sticky and difficult to work with. Is this normal?
Yes! I recommend having extra flour on hand to coat your hands and rolling pin to chase away the stickiness.
What bakeware do you recommend I use to make these biscuits?
We love our 3 Piece Baker set from Nordic Ware! The heat is distributed evenly and as a result, each biscuit comes out fluffy and full. At the same time, their nonstick surface also helps with cleaning.
More of our favorite breakfast recipes:
- Brown Sugar and Peppered Bacon
- 30 Minute Breakfast Quiche
- Copycat Cracker Barrel Hash Brown Casserole
- A Collection of Favorite Breakfast Recipes
- 20 Easy Crockpot Breakfast Dishes
Make these Cracker Barrel buttermilk biscuits a full meal
Wondering what to serve with these yummy Cracker Barrel Biscuits? I have suggestions below:
- 2 and 1/4 cup pre-made biscuit/pancake mix
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 and 1/2 tsp. granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted for brushing
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour plus a little more for dusting and preventing stickiness
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees and spray a glass baking dish with non stick spray.
- Add in the 1 tablespoon of melted butter and mix again until well blended.
- Sprinkle a flat surface with 1/4 cup of all purpose flour. Take the dough and knead it at least 20 times on the surface, using the flour to coat it.
- Brush the tops with half of the 2 tablespoons of melted butter.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until tops are light brown. After baking, brush tops with the remaining melted butter.