Start your day off right with a delicious serving of this Copycat Cracker Barrel Hash Brown Casserole. Made with shredded hash browns, cheddar cheese, and other savory ingredients, this meal is sure to become a favorite. It’s become a staple in our collection of easy casserole recipes.
This dish bares a similar resemblance to the one served at the popular restaurant, Cracker Barrel. The recipes we enjoy the most are ones that are similar to the food establishments we like to visit.
Our family absolutely loves Cracker Barrel. I came across this recipe and my curiosity went into overdrive. I had to try it to see if it compares to Cracker Barrel’s version. While some of the dish reminded us of the restaurant’s item, we found other parts of the recipe to be a new tasteful experience.
Items needed to prepare this hash brown casserole
These are affiliate links and will not change the sale price.
Reasons to make this delicious breakfast
Ingredients and tips for this Cracker Barrel Casserole
The following are affiliate links and will not change the sale price.
- French Onion Dip: Do not omit this item. It gives the recipe a tangy flavor and is a pleasant compliment to the rest of the ingredients.
- Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup (undiluted): This ingredient is the ‘comfort’ of this recipe. If you do not like Cream of Chicken, you can definitely substitute it for Cream of Celery.
- Frozen Shredded Hash Brown Potatoes: You can also use about 4 regular sized potatoes, shredded. We always use frozen. If you feel like switching it up use the ones with added onions and bell peppers.
- Cheddar Cheese: Although this is the main recommendation, you can also change it up by using different mixes of cheese.
- Bacon: It wouldn’t be a Cracker Barrel recipe without bacon! However, if you aren’t a fan, you can substitute ground sausage or even saute’d vegetables.
What goes into making a casserole?
A casserole contains the following ingredients:
- Proteins (ham, turkey, chicken, ground beef, bacon, etc..)
- Mixture of cheese (cheddar, mozzarella, Colby Jack, etc..)
- Noodle or grains of some sort (rice, penne, ziti, etc.)
Can I freeze this hash brown casserole?
Use a disposable aluminum pan and assemble as directed in the recipe, minus the cooking/baking part. Cover the pan with saran wrap twice and again with aluminum foil. With a Sharpie marker, write directions for cooking on the top. Place wrapped pan in the freezer. Recommended freezer time is 2-3 months.
How do I defrost a frozen casserole?
Remove aluminum pan from freezer and place in the refrigerator overnight. On the day of consumption, uncover casserole and bake as directed until top is golden brown. Consume within 2 to 3 days.
What size dish can you use to make a casserole?
To hold the proper amount of ingredients, it is recommended to use a standard 9×13 inch size dish when you create these recipes. We enjoy using these Emile Henry casserole dishes to make ours. They come in different colors and are made with Burgundy clay for best baking/cooking results.
Another great bakeware brand are these Pyrex 9×13 casserole dishes. These are wonderful to use due to their glass exterior. Each set also comes with lids which makes it convenient for transport.
Looking for more casserole recipes?
If you enjoy casserole recipes, here are a few more recommendations from the site and our friends:
- The Best Husband’s Delight Casserole
- Easy Swiss Chicken Bake
- Easy Chicken Casserole Recipes Roundup
- Mexican Street Corn Beef Casserole
- Shepherd Pie Casserole
What do I serve with this Copycat Cracker Barrel Hash Brown Casserole?
Wondering what else you can serve with this breakfast meal? Here are a few suggestions from the site:
Helpful Kitchen Tools
- 1 1/2 cups French Onion Dip premade
- 10 and 3/4 ounce Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup undiluted
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 30 ounce frozen, shredded hash brown potatoes thawed and defrosted
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup crumbled and cooked bacon (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and grease a 9×13 inch casserole dish.
- In a mixing bowl, combine French Onion Dip, Cream of Chicken Soup, onion powder, garlic powder, and ground pepper. Stir until well mixed.
- Add the shredded hash browns, cheddar cheese, and onions. Add bacon if desired. Mix all the ingredients until well combined.
- Transfer everything in the bowl to the greased casserole dish.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until top is golden brown.