This Husband’s Delight Casserole resembles lasagna with the ambience of beef stroganoff. It’s in our ARSENAL OF EASY DINNERS and is a family favorite!
I made this Husband’s Delight Casserole on my engagement day back in July of 2000. Husband Man meant to take me out to dinner and propose, however, I foiled his plans by wanting to eat at home.
I affectionately made this casserole, unbeknownst that he wanted to ask me to marry him. It’s an inside joke in our house now that he proposed to me over a plate of this yummy goodness! The name is VERY appropriate!
This dish is the love child of lasagna and beef stroganoff. When you think about these two meals together, it doesn’t add up. However, somehow in this recipe, they are perfectly melded as one.
The delicious layers of ingredients will resemble the creation of lasagna. While two particular items, egg noodles and sour cream, give the casserole a stroganoff vibe.
Ingredients & Tips For This Easy Dinner
You may be wondering about the items you’ll need to produce this Husband’s Delight Casserole. I’ll break them down for you, ingredient by ingredient.
- Hamburger meat: Anywhere between 85-92% is fine. The higher the percentage, the leaner the meat.
- Garlic Salt: This is a little trick I learned! Adding garlic salt when the meat is browning will boost the flavor. I use this tip whenever I brown hamburger. If you aren’t a fan of garlic salt, regular salt and pepper will suffice.
- Spaghetti Sauce: Either homemade or from the jar, it doesn’t matter. My family highly prefers Bertolli’s Tomato and Basil Sauce, but you can use any brand and flavor you would like.
- Thick and Zesty Dry Spaghetti Mix: I realize it seems redundant to actually have two ingredients for spaghetti, however, this dry mix won’t be used to make a sauce. It’s used to add flavor to the casserole. You don’t want to leave this one out!
- Egg Noodles: This dish would not be the same without these noodles. They give the recipe a bit of nostalgic feel.
- Sour Cream: Yes, I realize this ingredient is a bit odd to place in here. However, it is what gives this dish it’s tanginess. Just like the dry mix, you don’t want to leave this out!
- Shredded Cheese: Finally, the conclusion to this recipe. You can mix and match different cheeses if you would like. We have been known to use Colby Jack with Cheddar….or Mozzarella with Parmesan. If you would like to stick to just one type, that is fine as well.
Questions & Answers About This Recipe
MORE Of our favorite
- 1 pound hamburger meat
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 24 ounce jar of spaghetti sauce, any flavor
- 1 envelope of thick and zesty dry spaghetti sauce mix
- 12 ounce package of medium egg noodles, cooked
- 16 ounce carton of sour cream
- 16 ounce bag of shredded cheese (cheddar, colby-jack, mozzarella, etc..) (mix and match the flavors as you would like to equal 16 oz.)
- Take 1/3 of the cooked noodles and spread them into the dish.
- Spread about 1/3 of the meat mixture on top of the noodles.
- Spread about 1/3 of the sour cream on top of the meat.
- Sprinkle half of the cheese of your choice on top of the sour cream.
- Continue this layering process and end it with the cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes and serve.