This popular dish obtained it’s claim to fame through it’s taste and title. I know my husband definitely enjoys it! This Husband’s Delight Casserole is the love child of lasagna and beef stroganoff. It’s a family favorite and listed in our arsenal of easy casserole recipes!
If you think about lasagna and beef stroganoff, it doesn’t add up. They are both different in taste and appearance. However, in this recipe, they are perfectly melded as one. It has been a mystery how well they fit together.
The delicious layers of ingredients will resemble the creation of lasagna. It bears a close resemblance to this recipe for Skillet Lasagna. Two particular items, egg noodles and sour cream, give the casserole a stroganoff vibe. Everyone knows that stroganoff alone is a husband’s delight!
Recipe Preparation For This Casserole
I have created a wonderful list of items you may need to prepare this recipe. They are affiliate links and do not change the sale price.
Reasons to Make this Delicious Dinner
Ingredients and Tips for this Husband’s Delight Casserole
Wondering about the items you’ll need to produce this Husband’s Delight Casserole? I’ll break them down for you, ingredient by ingredient with affiliate links included.
- Hamburger Meat: Anywhere between 85-92% is fine. The higher the percentage, the leaner the meat.
- Garlic Salt: This is a little trick I learned! Adding garlic salt when the meat is browning will boost the flavor. I use this tip whenever I brown hamburger. If you aren’t a fan of garlic salt, regular salt and pepper will suffice.
- Spaghetti Sauce: Either homemade or from the jar, it doesn’t matter. If from the jar, my family highly prefers Bertolli’s Tomato and Basil Sauce, but you can use any brand and flavor you would like. My 3 Mama’s Spaghetti Sauce recipe also pairs well with this casserole.
- Thick and Zesty Dry Spaghetti Mix: I realize it seems redundant to actually have two ingredients for spaghetti, however, this dry mix won’t be used to make a sauce. It’s used to add flavor to the casserole. You don’t want to leave this one out!
- Egg Noodles: This dish would not be the same without these noodles. They give the recipe a bit of nostalgic feel.
- Sour Cream: Yes, I realize this ingredient is a bit odd to place in here. However, it is what gives this dish it’s tanginess. Just like the dry mix, you don’t want to leave this out!
- Shredded Cheese: Finally, the conclusion to this recipe. You can mix and match different cheeses if you would like. We have been known to use Colby Jack with Cheddar….or Mozzarella with Parmesan. If you would like to stick to just one type, that is fine as well.
Can I substitute Greek yogurt for sour cream?
It is common to substitute Greek yogurt for sour cream in plenty of recipes. Both items are similar in consistency and taste. Make sure to stay away from sweet yogurt flavors and stick with a plain one.
Can you combine spaghetti sauce with sour cream?
Combining spaghetti sauce with sour cream is a common practice in recipes. The sour cream gives the sauce a creamy consistency and adds a ‘tangy’ flavor. If you don’t have sour cream or aren’t a fan, cream cheese would work just as well.
Can you freeze casseroles that include sour cream?
It is not recommended to freeze this casserole due to the sour cream. If sour cream is placed in the freezer, the consistency will change. You can always make the casserole minus the sour cream and shredded cheese and freeze it. Once defrosted, you can add a layer of sour cream and shredded cheese before placing it in the oven to bake.
What size dish do you need to make a casserole?
To hold the proper amount of ingredients, it is recommended to use a standard 9×13 inch size dish when you create these recipes. We enjoy using these Emile Henry casserole dishes to make ours. They come in different colors and are made with Burgundy clay for best baking/cooking results.
Another great bakeware brand are these Pyrex 9×13 casserole dishes. These are wonderful to use due to their glass exterior. Each set also comes with lids which makes it convenient for transport.
More of Our Favorite Casserole Recipes
Looking for more family style casserole recipes? Here’s a few of our favorites from the site and our friends!
- Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole
- Creamy Swiss Chicken Bake
- Chicken and Cheese Stuffed Crescent Rolls
- 25 Easy Dinner Casseroles
- 25 Kid Friendly Budget Casseroles
Make it a Full Meal:
Wondering what to serve with this Husband’s Delight Casserole to make it a full meal? I have suggestions linked below:
What You’ll Need To Make This Dinner
These are products I personally use and recommend to make this casserole. They are affiliate links.
- 1 pound hamburger meat
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 24 ounce jar of spaghetti sauce, any flavor
- 1 envelope of thick and zesty dry spaghetti sauce mix
- 12 ounce package of medium egg noodles, cooked
- 16 ounce carton of sour cream
- 16 ounce bag of shredded cheese (cheddar, colby-jack, mozzarella, etc..) (mix and match the flavors as you would like to equal 16 oz.)
- Take 1/3 of the cooked noodles and spread them into the dish.
- Spread about 1/3 of the meat mixture on top of the noodles.
- Spread about 1/3 of the sour cream on top of the meat.
- Sprinkle half of the cheese of your choice on top of the sour cream.
- Continue this layering process and end it with the cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes and serve.