This Chicken and Rice Casserole is less then 8 ingredients and great for a busy weeknight. Our family loves it because of how delicious and easy it is to make. It has earned a spot in our collection of Easy Casserole Recipes!
Chicken and rice is a classic recipe that combines comfort and simplicity all in one dish. It’s sure to become a family favorite due to the ease of preparation and mouthwatering taste.
Recommended Chicken and Rice Casserole Tools
These are affiliate links and will not change the original price.
This casserole recipe is the perfect blend of flavors. It’s creamy, cheesy goodness combined with wholesome ingredients make it a fantastic comfort food option for any occasion. Once you see how easy it is to make, it will be added to your family’s dinner rotation in no time!
Why You Should Make this Chicken and Rice Casserole
Ingredients and Tips for this Rice and Chicken Casserole
Wondering what you need to make this meal? I got you covered below!
The links below are affiliate links and will not change the sale price of the item.
- Chicken: This is the main ingredient that delivers protein. You can take a short cut and use a Rotisserie or even used canned.
- Cream of Chicken Soup: When combined with water, this soup adds flavor to the recipe. You can also use Cream of Celery Soup if you aren’t a fan of chicken.
- Rice: We use a long grain rice such as Jasmine, however, you can use any brand you would like. Short grain rice would work well also.
- Granulated Chicken Bouillon: This ingredient mixed in with the water and Cream of Chicken Soup helps to bring out the robust flavor. We like to use Better Than Bouillon’s Roasted Chicken Base.
- Onions and Broccoli: Vegetables are always encouraged to be added and these are no exception.
- Cheddar Cheese: The cheese helps bind the ingredients together while baking.
- Parsley: Parsley intertwines well with chicken. We like to use dried, however, you can use fresh as well.
Do You Need to Cook the Rice Before Adding to this Recipe?
You can definitely cook the rice before adding to the rest of the ingredients, however, it can be added uncooked with everything else. The water and Cream of Chicken Soup will help with cooking while baking.
Can I Freeze Chicken and Rice Casserole?
This casserole can be frozen. After baking, allow to sit and come to room temperature (no longer then 2 hours). Once cooled, transfer to an airtight container and freeze, making sure to label with the date and contents. The casserole can be frozen for up to 2 to 3 months.
How Long Will a Chicken and Rice Casserole Last in the Fridge?
This casserole can last up to 3 days if properly stored in the refrigerator. Allow it to come to room temperature and add left overs to a glass container preferably with a lid for protection. We recommend the ones from Pyrex.
What Size Dish Do I Use to Cook this Rice and Chicken Casserole?
To hold the proper amount of ingredients, it is recommended to use a standard 9×13 inch size dish when you create these recipes. We enjoy using these Emile Henry casserole dishes to make ours. They come in different colors and are made with Burgundy clay for best baking/cooking results.
Another great bakeware brand are these Pyrex 9×13 casserole dishes. These are wonderful to use due to their glass exterior. Each set also comes with lids which makes it convenient for transport.
What to Serve With this Chicken Casserole?
We enjoy making a fresh salad to accompany this dish, however, any type of stand alone vegetable can be used as a side. I recommend our Lemon and Olive Oil Green Beans. Try making our Strawberry and Lemon Cream Cheese Dessert to round out the meal!
More of Our Favorite Chicken Casseroles
If you are looking for more chicken casseroles, then check out a few more of our favorite ones on the site and from our friends:
- Creamy Swiss Chicken Bake Casserole
- Parmesan Mozzarella Chicken Bake
- The Best Taco Casserole Recipe
- Crock Pot Buffalo Ranch Chicken Casserole
- Easy Mexican Chicken Casserole
Helpful Kitchen Tools
- 10 ounce Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp. chicken bouillon (we use Better Than Bouillon Roasted Chicken Flavor)
- 3/4 cup rice washed
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 tsp. dried parsley
- 1 cup frozen broccoli florets defrosted
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chicken shredded
- 2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and spray a 9×13 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the Cream of Chicken Soup, water, and chicken bouillon. Stir until combined.
- Add in the chopped onion, dried parsley, and rice.
- Place the mixture inside the casserole dish and add the shredded chicken and broccoli.
- Top with shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until rice is tender.