If you need a side dish to compliment your main meal, this Chinese Fried Rice is it! Made with only 8 ingredients, it is an easy recipe to make when you are low on time. We love it so much that it’s been added to our collection of Simple Rice Recipes!
The awesome thing about this recipe is that it can be eaten as either a side dish OR a main meal. It also makes quite a bit so it’s perfect for feeding a crowd.
This recipe is similar to the fried rice at the popular restaurant, Panda Express. It can also be referred to as a copycat version of it. This simple yet incredibly flavorful dish has the perfect balance of tender rice, savory soy sauce, and an assortment of vegetables that make it one of our favorites.
Reasons why you need to make this Chinese Fried Rice
Ingredients and tips for making this Fried Rice
Wondering what you need to make this rice? I have you covered below!
Some of these are affiliate links and will not change the price of the item.
- Frozen Mixed Vegetables: This is the easiest way to add the veggies into the rice. Don’t skip it!
- Olive Oil and Sesame Oil: Both of these ingredients will be used to saute’ other key items.
- Garden Vegetable Rice: Along with the frozen vegetables, this will be the easiest way to not only add the vegetables, but to also cook the rice.
- Rotisserie Chicken and Eggs: These add substance to the recipe, as well as protein.
- Garlic Powder: Seasonings are wonderful to add to this recipe. This is one of them!
- Soy Sauce: This ingredient works well with the garlic powder. It’s the item that gives fried rice it’s name.
How Do You Store this Chinese Fried Rice?
Bring the rice to room temperature then store in an air tight glass container, such as these Pyrex Glass Food Storage Containers. Place it in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
What is the Best Soy Sauce for This Fried Rice?
A good, dark soy sauce, such as Kikkoman, is best to use with this kind of rice. It adds wonderful flavor and a nice, dark brown color to the dish. Always use the minimum amount of soy sauce recommended due to sodium content.
What is the Secret to Making Perfect Fried Rice?
The rice must be cool or cold before use. If it is warm or hot, it will not hold seasonings and form very well. It is always recommended to use day-old rice to start out with.
What Brand of Rice Cooker Do You Recommend?
We use an Aroma 6 Cup Rice Cooker to make ours. It has lasted us a long time (at least 10 years) and is super simple to operate. It also comes with a steamer bucket so you can add another ingredient while your rice is cooking.
Did this Fried Rice Recipe Come From a Cookbook?
This recipe came from the cookbook, Taste of Home: Copycat Restaurant Favorites. Give or take a few ingredients, the meals and treats found in this book are spot on and taste like the real ones found in the actual restaurants.
More of Our Favorite Rice Recipes:
If you are looking for rice recipes like the one above, then check out a few more of our favorite ones on the site and from our friends:
- Quick and Easy Spanish Rice
- Island Rice Recipe
- Cilantro Lime Rice
- How to Make Grandules Rice (Puerto Rican Rice)
- Red Chili Coconut Jasmine Rice
Helpful Kitchen Tools
- 12 oz. frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 tbsp. olive oil divided
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp. sesame oil
- 26.4 oz. Garden Vegetable Rice Uncle Ben's, 3 packages
- 1 cup chicken cooked and shredded
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tsp. soy sauce
Equipment You’ll Need
- Prepare the bag of frozen vegetables as stated on the package.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tbsp. of olive oil over medium heat. Pour the lightly scrambled eggs over the heated oil and stir until the eggs are thick and the liquid has dissolved. Place the cooked eggs on a plate and set aside.
- In the same skillet, heat 1 tbsp. of sesame oil and remaining olive oil. Add the three packages of rice and stir until rice begins to brown and cook (about 10-12 minutes).
- Stir in the chicken, eggs, vegetables, salt, pepper, garlic powder, soy sauce, remaining sesame oil. Stir until everything is well combined. Cook for about 10 minutes.
- Serve immediately.