If you need a side dish to compliment your main meal, this Island Rice Recipe is it! Made with only 9 ingredients, it is an easy recipe to make when you are low on time. We love it so much that it’s been added to our collection of Simple Rice Recipes!
The awesome thing about this recipe is that it can be eaten as either a side dish OR a main meal. You can easily double the amount of ingredients to feed a crowd as well.
This is my mother’s recipe. She is well known among our family and friends for her “famous” fried rice. I spent many evenings (and mornings) growing up eating it for dinner and sometimes breakfast. When she taught me how to make it, I was surprised at how easy it was.
Reasons why you need to make this Island Rice Recipe
Ingredients and tips for making this Island Rice
Wondering what you need to make this rice? I got you covered below!
- Vegetable Oil: Do not skip this ingredient. Vegetable oil gives it a smooth texture. You can also use olive oil.
- Onion: Onions help season the rice and is a key ingredient.
- Rice: We use long grain rice such as Jasmine, however, you can use a short grain as well.
- Protein: This ingredient adds substance to the recipe. You can use chicken, ham, hotdogs, or even Spam.
- Garlic Powder and Onion Powder: These two powders work in tandem with the fresh onion to provide a wonderful seasoning.
- Soy Sauce: This ingredient works well with the garlic powder, onion powder, and the fresh onion. It’s the item that gives fried rice it’s name.
- Eggs: Eggs offer another option for a protein. You can always omit them if you aren’t a fan.
How Do You Store this Island Rice?
Bring the rice to room temperature then store in an air tight glass container, such as these Pyrex Glass Food Storage Containers. Place it in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
What is the Best Soy Sauce for this Island Rice Recipe?
A good, dark soy sauce, such as Kikkoman, is best to use with this kind of rice. It adds wonderful flavor and a nice, dark brown color to the dish. Always use the minimum amount of soy sauce recommended due to sodium content.
What is the Secret to Making Perfect Island Rice?
The rice must be cool or cold before use. If it is warm or hot, it will not hold seasonings and form very well. It is always recommended to use day-old rice to start out with.
What Brand of Rice Cooker Do You Recommend?
We use an Aroma 6 Cup Rice Cooker to make ours. It has lasted us a long time (at least 10 years) and is super simple to operate. It also comes with a steamer bucket so you can add another ingredient while your rice is cooking.
More of Our Favorite Rice Recipes:
If you are looking for rice recipes like the one above, then check out a few more of our favorite ones on the site and from our friends:
- Quick and Easy Spanish Rice
- Red Rice (Recipe from Guam)
- How to Make Rice on the Stove
- How to Make Grandules Rice (Puerto Rican Rice)
- Red Chili Coconut Jasmine Rice
Turn this Island Rice into a full island meal:
The following recipes on the site will be great to serve with this rice.
Helpful Kitchen Tools
- 3 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 12 ounce Spam chopped
- 1/2 tsp. garlic minced
- 3 eggs whisked
- 2 1/2 cups long grain rice cooked
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 2 1/2 tbsp. soy sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the vegetable oil in a medium pan or wok on medium heat on the stove.
- Add the chopped onion and saute' until the onion is translucent.
- Add the chopped Spam (or other protein) to the onions and saute' until the Spam has a bit of brown to it. Add the minced garlic to the Spam.
- Move the Spam and garlic to the side of the pan and add the whisked eggs.
- Continuously whisk the eggs in the pan space until they are well scrambled and cooked.
- Add the cooked rice and stir all ingredients in the pan until well mixed.
- Add the garlic powder, onion powder, and soy sauce and mix until well blended.
- Add salt and pepper to desired taste.
- Serve immediately.