Bring the taste of the tropics into your home with this Coconut Rice Recipe. It’s an easy recipe to make when you are low on time and funds. We love it so much that it’s been added to our collection of Simple Rice Recipes!
Coconut rice is a staple in many tropical dishes and combines the subtle sweetness of coconut with the fragrance of jasmine rice. This recipe is less then 8 ingredients and is very simple to make.
Coconut rice is a dish that effortlessly brings the warmth of the tropics to your dining experience. With its simple preparation, this recipe is sure to become a favorite in your culinary collection. It’s coconut-infused paradise on a plate!
Reasons Why You Should Make this Coconut Rice Recipe
Ingredients and Tips for Making this Coconut Rice Recipe
Wondering what you need to make this rice? I have you covered below!
Some of these are affiliate links and will not change the price of the item.
- Long Grain Rice: This is the main ingredient in the entire recipe. Don’t skip it. We like to use Jasmine rice.
- Coconut Milk: The flavor of coconut milk is what makes the taste tropical. We enjoy using the Thai Kitchen brand.
- Cilantro: This can be used as a garnish if desired.
- Ground Ginger and Ground Cinnamon: Both of these spices help to boost the tropical flavor.
How Do You Store Coconut Rice?
Bring the rice to room temperature then store in an air tight glass container, such as these Pyrex Glass Food Storage Containers. Place it in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Is Coconut Rice Made From Coconut Milk or Cream?
This particular recipe is made with coconut milk. However, you can use either one to cook with. It’s recommended to dilute the cream with a bit of water due to it having a thicker consistency.
What Pairs Well with Coconut Rice?
Dishes with pineapple, mango, and even curry seem to compliment this rice well. You will want to stick with mostly Thai and Vietnamese dishes. A delicious Thai chicken stir fry or pineapple shrimp skewers may work.
Can I Make this in the Rice Cooker? If So, What Brand?
Yes! You can! We use an Aroma 6 Cup Rice Cooker to make ours. It has lasted us a long time (at least 10 years) and is super simple to operate. It also comes with a steamer bucket so you can add another ingredient while your rice is cooking.
More of Our Favorite Rice Recipes
If you are looking for rice recipes like the one above, then check out a few more of our favorite ones on the site and from our friends:
- Quick and Easy Spanish Rice
- Island Rice Recipe
- Cilantro Lime Rice
- How to Make Grandules Rice (Puerto Rican Rice)
- Red Chili Coconut Jasmine Rice
Helpful Kitchen Tools
- 2 cups jasmine rice
- 2 cups water
- 13.5 ounce can of coconut milk
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. granulated sugar
- 1/8 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp. fresh cilantro
Equipment You’ll Need
- In a mixing bowl, rinse the jasmine rice in cold water about 15 times to reduce the amount of starches. Drain any excess water with a strainer and place the rice in a pot.
- Add the coconut milk, 2 cups of water, salt, sugar, ginger, and cinnamon.
- Bring the rice to a boil over high heat. Once boiling, turn the heat down to low and simmer for about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Serve with cilantro as a garnish if desired.