Made with sugar, cinnamon, and mini marshmallows, these Candied Yams-Sweet Potatoes are sure to be a hit at your next Thanksgiving dinner!
This dish is a favorite of ours that I learned to make during my first year of marriage.
It is my mom’s recipe and one that I have grown up on. Sweet potatoes or yams can be used depending on your preference. We’ve made it with both.
Hint: There really isn’t a difference between a sweet potato and yam, according to this article.
This recipe is crazy simple to make too! Just cut your yams…errr..sweet potatoes…into pieces, coat them with sugar, place them in a casserole dish, sprinkle with butter and cinnamon, then bake.
Towards the end of the baking time, you sprinkle with mini-marshmallows.
My kids love these Candied Yams-Sweet Potatoes because it’s on the ‘sweet’ side so to them, it feels like they are eating candy. Which I guess is why it’s called “candied” yams.
Between this and our Sweet Potato Pecan Casserole, Thanksgiving is pretty much covered!
This dish was on the menu for one of the first informal cooking classes I conducted back when I first started this site. Every time I make it, I think back to that class…and how fun it was!
It was a group of military spouses who were far, far, far away from home.
Some of them didn’t know how to make a full Thanksgiving dinner so I decided I would round them up at my house and show them how.
From the turkey, to these yams, to pecan pie…we made it all.
I managed to save one of the pictures of that day 🙂
I’ve taught many cooking classes since then, however, you never forget your first one…and for me, this one was it. They literally were in the kitchen, “Cooking with Libby.” 😉
- 7 cups chopped, one inch cubed yams (equivalent to 3 big ones. scrubbed and skinned)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/8 cup sugar
- 1 stick of unsalted butter (chopped into pieces)
- 4 cups mini marshmallows
- Ground Cinnamon to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a big mixing bowl, mix the 1/2 cup and 1/8 cup of sugar with the chopped yams.
- Place chopped yams in a greased 9x13 inch casserole dish.
- Take the chopped butter pieces and place them on top of the yams, making sure to spread out the pieces.
- Take the ground cinnamon and sprinkle on top of the butter and yams.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Sprinkle the 4 cups of mini marshmallows on top.
- Bake for another 10 minutes or until marshmallows start to brown.